Wednesday 29 November 2017

Non-Traditional Engagement Rings

Photography from CODY GUILFOYLE

Scosha Woolridge never thought of becoming the go-to gal for emerald engagement rings. She grew up in Sydney, spent her twenties backpacking through India, Thailand, Central America, and Brazil, also took jobs making artwork, providing massages and painting murals to get by. After settling in New York, where she’s worked with Lorraine Kirke to start out the West Village apparel boutique Geminola (RIP), her innate creative curiosity lead her to design several pieces of jewellery–just for the helluvit.

“Gold has been quite inexpensive back then,” she states. “I had six hundred bucks for my name, so I left several gold bracelets and marketed them at wholesale. Orders were placed by people. I dropped into the entire matter by accident.”  

Photography from CODY GUILFOYLE

Ten years after, her Brooklyn jewelry store (which also conveys fabrics, beauty products, clothes and pottery) has come to be a one-stop shop for unconventional brides-to-be looking for ivory, earthy emerald engagement rings that are anything but basic. Below, her ideas on special engagement rings and everything green.

Photography from CODY GUILFOYLE

On deciding to Work With Emeralds:“Emeralds are my birthstone. Additionally, green reminds me of my mother and grandma. I love diamonds because they’re so glowing. I can’t stand going to gem shows. It seems like they’re just mining the earth and selling portions of the earth. I must do it my way, although I love finding the freshwater emerald. The adventure of sourcing it needs to be like securing a treasure.”

Photography from CODY GUILFOYLE

On The First Emerald Engagement Ring She Ever Created:“I had a 22 carat gold ring that I made ten years ago, when gold was still very cheap, and I practiced setting little stones onto it by hand. I am not a trained jeweler, so that it took a time to me. Then I found that this decided to set it in traditional prongs on that band, and emerald. I surprised myself, although I thought I would not put on it. After a time, I simply never took off it.”

Photography from CODY GUILFOYLE

On Consideration For Emeralds:“They are the softest precious gem, much more delicate than a sapphire or a blossom. They can chip. I tell my customers to take them off whenever theydoing the dishes or taking a shower or’re doing sports. Not that I follow my own information, naturally!”

On Making Custom Order wedding Rings:“My customers are really attracted to the color of their Brazilian emerald. They know to return to me to get this specific stone. There’s an electrical luminosity for it; it is like buying a clear pond at an eco shore. My guidance to them is to go with some thing they want to check out every day. And there is a setting better. You have to like to look in it on your finger.”


source http://www.christyjewell.com/non-traditional-engagement-rings/

No comments:

Post a Comment